The new Porsche 911 is hugging the limelight in LA, but here are the other big-hitters at the last major motor show of 2018
The firm isn’t saying much about the new SL at this stage, other than confirming it’s a facelift rather than an all-new car.
It’s a “new appearance for an automotive icon,” says Mercedes-Benz. “The SL with a new front and diamond grille.”
It’ll get its “world premiere at the LA Auto Show”. And, for now, that’s it. So let’s get our specs out and compare the new car with the current one.
Differences? Well, it’s amazing what a new front bumper and grille can do. The new car has more sculptural air intakes, a crisper grille and the lovely Mercedes-Benz diamond grille, giving it a much-needed dose of Mercedes-AMG GT cool.
Headlights are the same shape but have modern new LED innards, and Mercedes-Benz has also smoothed out the shape of the grille itself.
As for the rest of it, we’ll have to wait and see. The SL was only recently treated to a new fuel-saving six-cylinder 3.0-litre twin-turbo SL 400 model, sitting below the classic V8 SL 500 and snorty SL 63 AMG and SL 65 AMG duo: new engines are thus unlikely.
What it probably will do is sharpen the suspension, overhaul the interior and blend in latest-gen infotainment and connectivity systems. Next week, we’ll find out all.
Jaguar has swelled the F-Type model range from six cars to 14 for 2015 with the launch of all-wheel drive and manual gearbox options. Read more
Volvo believes the crossover estate sector, which it claims to have created in 1997 with the V70 Cross Country, is set for growth as compact SUV buyers begin to look for alternatives. Read more
The acclaimed Audi Prologue concept car revealed at the 2014 LA Motor Show will influence the new A6, A7 and A8, Audi technical director Ultrich Hackenberg confirmed at the show – because the design of all three cars has already been signed off. Read more
Our pick of the stars from the 2014 LA Motor Show.
The 2014 LA Motor Show, like California itself, had a relaxed, easygoing vibe that concealed some real automotive substance and potentially groundbreaking new model introductions. Read more
Porsche has revealed at the 2014 LA Motor Show that the 918 Spyder supercar has sold out, with the final model from the 918-strong production run ordered a few days ago. Read more
Jaguar Land Rover has revealed a market-first new in-car connectivity gadget called justDrive which aggregates apps from Spotify, Twitter and others to create the car world’s first ‘super app’. Read more
Mazda has confirmed it will unveil its new Nissan Juke-rivalling CX-3 compact crossover at the LA Motor Show next month. Read more
About Motoring Research
Motoring Research is a multimedia publisher that’s been delivering the goods to clients since 1986.
We are growing fast, developing the Motoring Research Network of freelancers around our highly experienced in-house team. Together, we have more than half a century’s experience of motoring journalism…
- ShutterstockStorm Brendan: How to drive safely in strong windsJanuary 13, 2020 - 3:00 pm
- Shutterstock10 tips to cut your fuel billsJanuary 8, 2020 - 11:23 am
- ShutterstockHow to protect the windscreen wipers on a frozen carJanuary 3, 2020 - 5:14 pm
- ShutterstockJargon buster: your guide to new and used car financeJanuary 2, 2020 - 5:18 pm
- ShutterstockHow to drive safely through flood waterDecember 19, 2019 - 5:03 pm
- Alfa RomeoAlfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio review: the closest thing to a Ferrari SUVJanuary 17, 2020 - 1:57 pm
- 2020 Ford Puma review: top of the crossover classJanuary 17, 2020 - 10:43 am
- Rolls-Royce2020 Rolls-Royce Cullinan review: High societyJanuary 15, 2020 - 11:43 am
- HondaHonda NSX review: how the people’s supercar humbled FerrariJanuary 9, 2020 - 8:55 am
- Kia Sportage 2020 long-term reviewJanuary 9, 2020 - 7:14 am