A motorist has been caught by a mobile speed camera driving at more than twice the speed limit on an A road in Scotland. The 139mph recorded speed heads a top 20 list of Scottish speeding offences revealed by the IAM.
The road safety charity obtained the speeding offences through a Freedom of Information request to Police Scotland. They were recorded during a 15-month period between 1 April 2013 and 30 June 2014.
The 139mph speed – 79mph above the speed limit for the road – was recorded on the A96 between Keith and Huntley. This is a road that, looking at the satellite image, appears to have more than a few sharp bends, wiggles and direct-access feeder roads onto it.
Worryingly, all but one of the top 20 fastest speeding offences were on A roads, rather than motorways. Such dangerously high speeds are already bad enough, explained IAM chief executive Simon best, but “this is made doubly worse by the fact the vast majority of the incidents took place on A roads, therefore putting oncoming motorists, motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians at greater risk.
“These speeds show there are still drivers out there displaying a contempt for the law and for the safety of their fellow road users.”
The slowest speed from the top 20 was 114mph and nine drivers were caught travelling at 120mph or more.
However, while 139mph is very fast, it’s not as quick as the fastest speeding offender caught in England and Wales. Back in May, the IAM revealed a motorist had been caught travelling at 149mph on the M25 between April 2013 and May 2014.
In total, there were seven separate instances of motorists in England and Wales travelling at 130mph or more.
Top 20 speeding offences in Scotland: April 2013-June 2014
Offence speed/speed limit/road
- 139mph/60mph/A96 Keith to Huntly Road approximately one mile east of B9115 junction Aberdeenshire
- 129mph/70mph/A90 Dundee to Aberdeen Road at Waterston Road Angus
- 127mph/70mph/A9 Perth to Inverness Road at Moulinearn Perth and Kinross
- 125mph/70mph/A92 Crossgates to Cowdenbeath
- 122mph/70mph/A90 Dundee to Aberdeen Road near Mill of Forest Stonehaven Aberdeenshire
- 121mph/70mph/A74(M) Glasgow – Carlisle Road southbound carriageway near to Greenhillstairs overbridge Beattock
- 121mph/70mph/A74(M) Glasgow – Carlisle Road southbound carriageway near to Torwood overbridge junction 17 Lockerbie
- 121mph/70mph/A90 Aberdeen to Dundee Road at Haughs of Finavon Farm Angus
- 120mph/70mph/A9 Perth to Inverness Road at Moulinearn Perth and Kinross
- 119mph/70mph/M80 near to Barnego Road overbridge Dunipace
- 119mph/70mph/A74(M) Glasgow-Carlisle Road southbound carriageway near to Holms overbridge Beattock/ 12=. 118mph/70 mph/A1 Road Adniston East Lothian
- 118mph/70mph/A9 Perth to Inverness Road at Pitlochry A924 Perth and Kinross
- 118mph/70mph/A9 Perth to Stirling Road at Windyedge Farm Perth and Kinross
- 117mph/70mph/A74(M) Glasgow-Carlisle Road southbound carriageway near to north overbridge junction 19 Ecclefechan
- 116mph/70mph/A74(M) Glasgow – Carlisle Road southbound carriageway near to Torwood overbridge junction 17 Lockerbie
- 115mph/70mph/A74(M) Glasgow – Carlisle Road southbound carriageway near to Whicketthorn overbridge Kirkpatrick Fleming
- 115mph/70mph/A1 Road Adniston East Lothian
- 115mph/60mph/A82(T) public road near White Corries Rannoch Moor Highland
- 114mph/70mph/A74(M) Glasgow-Carlisle Road southbound carriageway near to north overbridge junction 19 Ecclefechan
- 114mph/70mph/A1 Road Adniston East Lothian