The organisers of the free-to-visit Canary Wharf Motorexpo have announced that the show will be cancelled after 20 years.
According to a statement from Motorexpo CEO, Graeme Carver, this was due to a breakdown in negotiations with Canary Wharf over the long-term future of the event.
Carver said that: “Naturally, we are very saddened that the show has now come to an end, and I’m sure the news will come as a big disappointment to Motorexpo visitors and manufacturers that attend each year.”
Ever since its first show in 1996, the Motorexpo has featured thousands of new cars, driving displays, test drives and parades of classic vehicles. And each year it allowed the public to witness all this for free.
As a result, it has proved to be hugely popular. Last year’s show had an estimated attendance of 400,000 people, and outlasted other flagship British motoring shows.
Motorexpo has said that it is currently reviewing all options, but has confirmed that the Motorexpo show in New York will still be taking place on September 18-24.