Scheduled to run in June 2016, Battersea Park is the first choice of organisers and local council approval sees a major hurdle cleared.
A decision was due some months ago, reports Autosport, but was delayed to allow the Heritage Lottery Fund, a significant investor in the Grande II listed park, to have input.
The race still hasn’t quite got the green light because planning permission is required for all the temporary structures that come with hosting a motor race event, but this is not expected to be an issue.
Racing will be held on the perimeter roads of the park and the event is scheduled to run on Saturday 27 June – although this could now be extended to a two-day double-header event.
A Formula E car has already tested in Battersea Park early one morning last August, to prove the viability of the race course.
Battersea motor race a ‘thrilling’ prospect
Wandsworth councillor Jonathan Cook told Autosport: “This is a great opportunity for Battersea to host a major global sporting event and I am sure that many people living locally will be thrilled at the prospect of watching these exciting racing cars in action in the park.”
The all-electric race series has targeted a London race since its birth in 2013, but planning permission has delayed the event, despite approval from London Mayor Boris Johnson.
When the series was announced last March, he said: “Zero emission world class motor racing is a scintillating concept and I am hugely keen that London be involved in the birth of Formula E.
“It has the potential to highlight the impressive strides being made in the manufacture of electric vehicles and hosting a street race could also be of considerable economic benefit to our city.”
Had the local council not approved the plans, an alternative race course held in the grounds of London’s Excel was also proposed.
The Battersea Park decision follows last week’s news that a return of London Motor Show is being planned for 2016, to be held at Battersea Power Station.